Anyone Up Fore Golf?
Everyone comes to Puerto Rico for a different reason. If you are an avid golfer, Puerto Rico’s 23 golf courses might be reason enough! If you can’t decide which ones to go to, watch out, there are more courses are in the works.
There are courses for all types of players, from beginner to the best of the best. Even the Pros come here to play every year at the PGA Puerto Rican Open at the Trump International Golf Club at Coco Beach.
Personally, I do not golf, but I have visited these courses, and the views from some of these greens are fantastic – the sun, breeze, palm trees, the blue ocean and light sand meeting the green of the course. I can see the appeal of spending a few hours out there!
Many of the courses in Puerto Rico have been designed by golf legends or illustrious designers. For example, Robert Trent Jones Jr. designed the Bahia Beach courses, Tom Fazio designed the course at Rio Mar, Tom Kite designed the four 9-hole courses at Coco Beach in Rio Grande … just to name a few.
As everyone knows, golf is not an inexpensive sport. You will notice the greens fees here vary greatly. Some courses are very affordable at about $65, while others can be $225 and up.
Here are some hints to help you save some money: high season is more expensive than low season, and morning tee times are more expensive than afternoon tee times. Also ,having the "resort" amenities on site (you know — things like saunas, massages, or a gourmet meal) will raise the price of the greens fees. Guests staying at the resorts and local residents usually get reduced rates.
There are two types of courses here in Puerto Rico: Resort courses (owned by, or associated with, a resort) and Independent courses (not associated with a resort).
In general, the golf courses that are not part of a resort offer fewer amenities, but they cost less and are used by more local golfers. Courses close to us in this category are: Berwind Country Club and Bahia Beach, both in Rio Grande. Others that are a longer drive away are Rio Bayamon Golf Course in Bayamon and the Caguas Real Golf Club in Caguas.
Courses linked to a resort hotel will pamper their golfers with well-stocked pro shops and nicer clubhouses. They will have upscale restaurants and other luxury resort amenities like spas. North-eastern Puerto Rico has the highest concentration of resort courses: Coco Beach Golf & Country Club, Wyndham Rio Mar Beach Resort & Golf Club, El Conquistador Resort & Golden Door Spa, and Palmas del Mar Resort.
So Where to Go?
One thing to note is that you must make advance reservations for tee times.
The prices may not be up to date, but they this is information we could find when we were writing this article. You can find out current fees and make reservations by either calling the courses directly or using Caribe Golf, a free reservation service.
Here are the courses close to Coqui’s Hideaway, starting from closest (10 minutess down the hill) to furthest (about a one hour drive).
- Trump International Golf Club at Coco Beach
- This is the course used by the PGA Tour, designed by Tom Kite.
- Location: Road 955, Rio Grande
- Phone:787-657-2000 ext 107
- Website: www.trumpgolfclubpuertorico.com
- Hours: Monday – Sunday 7:00am – 6:00pm
- Cost: 18 holes- Starting at $145/$160 for non-residents, Club rentals $50
- Holes: 2 different 18 hole courses
- Amenities: Clubhouse with Pro Shop has indoor putting range/sand traps to test equipment and practice. Also restaurant and some Spa-like amenities.
- The Wyndham Rio Mar Beach Resort, Country Club and Ocean Villas
- Location: 6000 Rio Mar Boulevard, Rio Grande 00745
- Phone: 787-888-6000 or 787-888-7060
- Website: http://www.wyndhamriomar.com
- Hours: 6:00am – 5:30pm
- Cost: 9 holes – $115, 18 holes $180 in high season, reduced rate in low season and for hotel guests. Club rental $55. See http://www.wyndhamriomar.com/golf/golf_fees.html for most recent price info
- Holes: 2 different 18 hole courses, the Ocean Course and the River Course
- Amenities: Clubhouse with Pro shop and practice ranges. Also restaurant and Spa.
- Berwind Country Club
- Location: Road 187, km 4.7, Rio Grande 00745
- Phone: (787) 876-5380
- Cost: See http://www.berwindcountryclub.net/Current-Playing-Rates.html for most current rates. Very reasonably priced.
- Holes: 9-18
- Amenities: There are few amenities for non-club members. However, there is a golf pro available for help.
- Bahia Beach Resort
- Location: Road 187, km 4.2 Rio Grande
- Phone: 787-224-4292
- Cost: see http://www.bahiabeachpuertorico.com/golf/rates-lessons/ for current rates.
- Hours: 7:00am – dusk
- Holes: 18
- Amenities: Clubhouse/restaurant/bar/golf shop
- El Conquistador Resort and Golden Door Spa
- Location: 1000 El Conquistador Ave., Fajardo
- Phone: (787) 863-6784
- Holes: 9-18
- Cost: 18 holes – $200, club rental $45-60
- Amenities: Clubhouse/restaurant/bar/golf shop, practice range
- Palmas del Mar Country Club
- Location: Highway 3, km 86.4, Humacao
- Phone: (787) 285-2255
- Hours: 7:00am – 6:00pm
- Web Site: http://www.palmasdelmar.com
- Cost: 9/18 holes $80-100 club rentals $40
- Holes: 2 different 18 hole courses – The Palm Course and the Flamboyan Course
- Rio Bayamon Golf Course
- Location: Carr. 177, Bayamon
- Phone: 787-740-1419
- Hours: Tuesday – Saturday from 6:00am-10:00pm, Sunday from 6:00am – 8:00pm
- Cost: 9 holes $30-45, Club rentals $15 http://www.municipiodebayamon.com/rio-bayamon-golf-course/horario-y-costos/
- Holes: 9
- There is also a driving range in Bayamon, just off of RT 2
- bucket of 60 balls cost $5
- Fort Buchanan Golf Course
- This course is open only to military personnel with ID.
- Location: Building 171, Ft. Buchanan, Guaynabo, 00965
- Phone: (809) 707-3852
- Holes: 9
Use this map to locate places mentioned in this article. You can click on a placemark to view the GPS coordinates for that place.