Farmers’ Markets: A Growing Trend
Due to COVID-19, many of the markets are just reopening now..
Back in the day, each town in Puerto Rico had a Plaza del Mercado (market), which was a building near the center of town local residents could buy fresh produce from a bunch of different sellers. But, today, with fully-stocked supermarkets all over the island, these local markets are becoming a thing of the past.
But recently — with renewed interest in buying fresh, local, and (when available) organic food — local farmers markets are starting up all around Puerto Rico. You may still find that some of the towns have a mercado near the plaza with produce available every day, the current trend is an open-air market, usually just once a week or twice a month, where local farmers, other small growers, and artisans come together to sell their goods.
If you are looking to buy fresh, locally grown or made items, then a Farmers’ Market is for you. These markets are where you will find some really unusual and wonderful stuff. And it is not just for health nuts. Buying fresh and local is a win-win for everyone — you get fresh food or some local products and handicrafts, and you help support the local economy. The money you spend stays here, helping the locals.
Buying at the larger local mercado buildings in town (like Río Piedras, Placita in Santurce or the Caguas mercado) helps the local economy, as they are locally owned and operated. But the inventory is not always from local farms, as they may have to go an importer to have enough goods on any given day.
So trying these smaller, pop-up farmers’ markets really increases your odds of meeting the grower, and getting fresh locally grown (or made) stuff. Either way, make sure to get there early as the supply is limited.
A List of Farmers’ Markets
Here is a list of the markets I have compiled. If your favorite market is not mentioned here, please leave a comment below, and let me know about it!
Old San Juan
- Mercado Agricola Natural Viejo San Juan – Organic Market — Every Saturday 8am – 12n
In front of El Morro , by the Ballaja more info
In Paseo Caribe building, at entrance to Old San Juan. more info
San Juan Metro Area
- La Placita en Plaza – Farmers’ Market at Plaza Las Americas Mall — Thursday to Saturday 9am – 8pm, sunday 9am -6pm
Plaza las Americas Mall, on the third level across from the JC Penney entrance
- Rio Piedras Market — Open daily 9am – 6pm (closes earlier on Sundays) more info
- La Placita — Open daily 9am – 6pm (closes earlier on Sundays) more info
- Cooperativa Organica Madre Tierra — 1st, 3rd, and 5th Sundays of month 8am – 2:00pm
Placita Roosevelt in Hato Rey more info on Facebook
- Merado Agricola Las Curias — 1st Sunday every month
At the Paseo Lago Las Curías-Cupey, SJ. more info
East of San Juan
- Feria Agrícola y Artesanal de Luquillo — 1st and 2nd Saturday of the month 9am – 3pm
In the Public Plaza in Luquillo (by La Pared) more info
- Palmas Farmer’s Market — second Saturday of the month 9am -1pm
Wyndham Palmas Hotel, Palmas del Mar. more info
- Vieques Farmers’ Market — in the morning on Tuesday, & Friday, 7am – 4:30pm
On the corner of Road 201 and 200. more info
West of San Juan
- San Sebastian Farmers’ Market — Fridays starting at 6am
Route 111 KM 18.5 in San Sebastian more info
- Mercado Agro-Ecocological Rincon — Sundays from 9am – 1pm
For now looks like it will be at the plaza Pública Cristobal Colon en Aguada. Check their Facebook page for current location. more info
- Aguadilla Farmers Market — Saturdays from 8am – 12noon
In the parking lot of Khalan Thai restaurant on Route 110 KM 32.2 in Aguadilla more info
South of San Juan
- Farmers’ Market La Placita — Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays
Plaza del Caribe Mall in Ponce, on the second level in front of Sears more info
Town Plazas del Mercado
Here is a list of town plazas del mercado. These are typically open daily.
- Plaza Del Mercado in Caguas — Ave Rafael Cordero, corner Route 189
- Plaza del Mercado in Mayagüez — Calle Pablo Casals, corner Muñoz Rivera
- Plaza del Mercado in San German — Calle Luis Muñoz Marín
- Plaza del Mercado in Aguada — Calle Muñoz Rivera
- Plaza del Mercado in Cabo Rojo — #12 Calle Carbonell
- Plaza del Mercado in Jayuya — Carretera #92, Calle Guillermo Esteves
- Plaza del Mercado Ismael Vega in Jayuya — Calle Figuras (in front of Universidad Metropolitana)
- Plaza del Mercado Isabel II in Ponce — Town Plaza in Ponce
- Plaza del Mercado in Bayamon — Ave #167 Intersección #2 Near University MET
- Plaza del Mercado in Luquillo — Calle Efrain Corsino
- Plaza del Mercado in Manatí — Town Plaza in Manatí
Click on a placename below to view the location on Google Maps ...
- Aguadilla Farmers Market
- Calle Loiza Farmers Market
- Carolina Farmers Market
- Cooperativa Organica Madre Tierra
- Departmento de la Comida, Punta las Marias
- Luquillo Farmers Market
- Mercado Agricola Natural de Ponce
- Mercado Agrícola Verdes Sombras
- Mercado Ecológico de Ponce<
- Plaza del Caribe Mall
- Plaza del Mercado in Rio Piedras
- Plaza del Mercado in Santurce
- Plaza las Americas Mall
- San Juan Museum
- San Sebastian Market
- Town Square, Arecibo
- Town Square, Rincon
- Ventana al Mar park
- Vieques Farmers Market
PuertoRicoDayTrips.com assumes no responsibility regarding your safety when participating in the activities described in this article. Please use common sense! If your mother or that little voice in your head tells you that you are about to do something stupid … then don't do it!